Books books books!

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

I absolutely love to read. Always have done. After my literature degree though when I had to analyse the crap out of everything I read I tended to go the complete opposite direction and read a lot of easy chick lit stuff. I read a lot of great stuff on the literature degree that otherwise I never would have looked at but by the end it was a slog. Last year I made it a resolution to read more books and varied books, I wrote them down to help me remember those I'd loved, was indifferent too and to simply log what if read. It really helped to ignite my love of reading again. Many of the books below are ones I've completely lost myself in and there aren't many better feelings than getting utterly lost in a book. So I thought I'd share some of my top reads with you X
 

 A huge best seller of last year. Now I'll admit, soppy books and films will make me cry. It's not difficult. However, I do hate a really cliche love story where the relationship is predictable and fake. As most will know, it's a love story between a young girl and a quadriplegic man. I really enjoyed this book and as someone with a chronic illness I didn't have a problem with the issues it raised about assisted sucicide which hit the media after the movies release. I'd definitely say read it but if you're soppy like me be prepared for tears.

 

Had seen this book in the best seller charts for ages. The whsmith at Liverpool street station has their books really nicely laid out so if I'm early or want some reading inspiration I always go in and look, this title showed up again and again. So when I found it in a charity shop, where I buy majority of my books, for 99p I had to have it. I'm so glad I did, I was completely absorbed in it for days. The story focuses on Nella, an 18 year old who recently marries for mutual gains rather than love. She begins her new life with her husband in Amsterdam but quickly realizes that there is far more to her new home and family than she ever imagined. I went on such a journey with these characters and picked up another copy to give out to someone because it's such a brilliant read. 
 

So I can't actually tell you much about plot because A) I don't want to rob you of the joy of reading and finding out yourself, B) you'd have no idea what I was talking about unless you read it yourself. I'd heard so many recommendations for this book that I gave in and read it. For me it was one of those books you are utterly entranced by, completely absorbed in the story and language and cannot bear to put down. Definitely worth a read. Here's a bit of the blurb to get you interested..... "The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it......it is simply there, when yesterday it was not" . I defy you not to want to rush out and buy a copy right now. (Finish reading this post though, it took a long time to write). 
 

So Hygge (pronounced HooGar I think! ) is the IT word of the moment. I had the good luck to find this gorgeous book (look at the cover) in a charity shop. So I picked it up to find out more. Hygge is basically the Nordic word for the feeling of contentment or as close as I can get because their is no equivalent word in English. This book explains the concept, the things that evoke the Hygge feeling, and let's us try to recreate it from the place where the people are happiest on earth. Definitely worth a read, really interesting, split into sections if you just want to skim, and makes you consider how little things can make life better.


 

Couldn't write about books I've been loving without including the Bob series. I bought and read the first, then immediately had to order the second and third. Obviously the book has been made into a film now (which I haven't seen yet) but I would recommend the books wholeheartedly. Follow how homeless James found Bob the cat and their remarkable journey along the way. This isn't your typical fluffy, twee animal story. It's real life, gritty, sad and ultimately doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of life on the streets of London. However it's balanced out with friendship, loyalty and a positive ending. 


I was lent this book by my friend who thought id like it. I ended up loving it and she ended up giving me the boom to keep! Francesca Martinez is a comedian and actress who has Cerebral Palsy or as she likes to put it, she's ' a bit wobbly'. As someone with a chronic illness I found a lot of similarities between myself and Francesca and could really understand things from her perspective. She made me laugh and cry regularly and I love how honest she is. Not that you need some kind of disability to enjoy this book, it's awesome. Francesca tells her story from childhood to becoming a successful comedienne, brilliant book don't hesitate to buy it. 
 
The book I'm currently reading is Happy by Derren Brown. I should start by saying I'm a huge fan of Derren, his stage shows and tv work are just utterly mesmerising and I love his honestly and attempts to debunk the myth around certain groups who take advantage of people at their lowest, eg faith healers etc.
I'm really enjoying this book, I'll be honest I'm always better with fiction than theory or self help books but that's just my personal preference. I've found Happy a little hard going sometimes in terms of theorists and the language used HOWEVER the subject and ideas presented by Derren are so interesting and keeps me engaged. As the title suggests it's about happiness, but not in a 'buy this book and it will change your life and everything you ever wanted will appear before you' kind of way. Derren looks at other methods that bring supposed happiness and critiques them, and also goes back to various theorists and philosophers to find out what actually can make us happier. I'm not doing it justice but I would definitely say buy it and see for yourself. 

I hope you enjoy some of these awesome books. What's your favorite book?mdo you have any to recommend that I should read? Leave me a comment x

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe